- 100g rice flour
- 4 tsp Culinary grade matcha Buy this matcha
- 80g demerara sugar
- 100g grounded almond
- 80g of cold butter (or vegetable margarine for vegan version)
- 60g flaked almonds / or 40g Flaked almonds and 30g candied yuzu peel
- 5 large cooking apples
- 10g butter
- Additional: 1 handful of candied yuzu peel
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C.
- Combine the rice flour, matcha, sugar and grounded almond together in a large bowl. Using your fingertips, work the butter into the dry mix until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs, then add the flaked almonds (and yuzu peel), mixing together gently.
- Peel the apples and remove the core, dice them into chunks and pour them into a pan with 10g of butter and allow to cook for 10 minutes. When they have softened remove from the pan and add them to a baking tray.
- Sprinkle the crumble mixture on top and bake for about 20-25 minutes or until the crumble is a little golden and crunchy. You can serve hot with vanilla ice cream or a lemon sorbet but leftovers the day after may be even better.
Candied yuzu peel gives the nice citrusy flavour to this crumble but may be hard to find. ½ apple and ½ mango is also a really nice combination, in that case, only pre-cook the apple and add the mango uncooked to the baking tray.