Gomasio is a savoury Japanese seasoning blend that can be used as a healthier and tastier alternative to regular salt.
- 2Tsp sea salt
- 4Tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 nori sheet
- 1 Tsp matcha
- Heat a dry frying pan and toast the salt for 1 minute, reserve in bowl.
- Toast the sesame seeds in the pan for 2 minutes or just before it begins to colour if you use white sesame seeds, add to the bowl with the salt.
- Hover the nori sheet over the pan briefly to lightly toast and starts to crisp.
- Roll the nori sheet and cut very thinly with a knife or scissors.
- Sieve the matcha over the bowl and stir well.
- With a pestle and mortar grind the mix, you can also use a food processor with the pulse function (a coffee grinder could also work) you should get coarse consistency.
Transfer the gomasio in an airtight container (preferably dark colour to avoid any matcha discoloration), it will keep for several weeks, longer if you store it in the fridge.
It is a perfect seasoning for any Asian dish, or simply grilled fish or chicken. It will bring some flavours to a simple salad with a deep umami taste.