- 100g butter
- 100g sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 plain flour
- 1 tbsp Culinary grade matcha Buy this matcha
- 1 pinch of salt
- 120g icing sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp water
- Whisk butter at room temperature and sugar in bowl until you get a white creamy texture, then add the egg and whisk again.
- Mix the matcha and flour together and add them to the butter and sugar mixture. Knead very lightly into an even dough. Shape into a thick square, wrap in cling film and chill for at least 1 hour.
- Dust the worktop with a little flour and roll out the dough to 0.5cm thickness. You’ll need five different sized star shaped cookie cutters. Cut out 3 star biscuits in every size.
Place them on a lined baking tray.
- Cook the biscuits in a preheated oven to 170˚C.
Cooking time for large biscuits will be about 8 minutes, medium biscuits about 6 minutes, smaller biscuits about 4 minutes. Adjust timing according to your oven, do not overcook as the edges will turn golden, you want to keep a vibrant green colour.
- Leave biscuits to cool down and prepare the icing by mixing together the icing sugar, the vanilla and water.
- Once the biscuits have cooled down, start to build your tree.
Start with a larger star at the base spread a little royal icing in the middle to hold another star, then add another star going from the largest to the smallest.
Continue building your tree until the desired height. The 2 smallest stars should be stuck together with royal icing and placed vertically at the top of your tree, they will represent the star ornament.
- Leave to set for 30 minutes. You can leave it plain or decorate with more icing and pearl sugar.